FROM EAT WELL WITH SARI
Tuesday, November 12th, 2019
Hello Cajun Sweet Potato Crusted Shrimp!
Truth: when I tested this recipe, I ate the whole plate in one sitting with my friend. They turned out SO good. This is type of recipe that tastes like it should be unhealthy, but it actually isn’t. Win Win! These are perfect for an appetizer of even the main event. Guarantee they will be a hit at any holiday party! These cajun sweet potato crusted shrimps are gluten free, so easy to make and made with minimal ingredients. The secret to it – RW Garcia Gluten Free Sweet Potato Crackers. I ground these up to make the tastiest “breading” for the shrimp. I love all the RW Garcia crackers, but anything sweet potato has a special place in my heart. They are made with stone ground yellow corn, sweet potato, sunflower oil, flaxseed, black sesame seeds, chia seed and sea salt. That is it, and they taste incredible! They also have an organic version of these too.
RW Garcia has a great variety of gluten free snacks from crackers to tortilla chips and I honestly enjoy them all. I am such a savory snack lover over here so these are a staple for me. Plus, they are family owned (for three generations!), use high quality trans-fat free ingredients and are non GMO certified. All good things. To find RW Garcia snacks to enjoy yourself, visit https://rwgarcia.com/locations/, enter your zip code and find the store nearest you.
What you need for this recipe:
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers (Gluten Free)
- Cajun Seasoning
- Sea Salt
- Shrimp – Peeled with the Tail on (Fresh is preferred, but from frozen works, you just need to fully defrost them)
- Avocado Oil – For pan frying in the cast iron skillet. This oil is the best with high heat
- Greek Yogurt – I used Whole milk so it is super thick and creamy tasting
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Cast Iron Skillet is best, but a regular pan will also work for pan frying
- Food Processor for grounding the crackers. You can also use a blender. If you do not have either, you can place them in a bag and use the backside of a cup to really pound them out into small grains
Sweet Potato Crusted Shrimp:
1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 cup RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers (Ground in a food processor)
½ tbsp Cajun Spice
¼ tsp Sea Salt
¼ cup Avocado Oil
1 Pound of Shrimp (About 15 pieces)
Yogurt Lime Dip:
½ cup Greek Yogurt
½ Lime, Squeezed
Fresh Ground Pepper
1. Start with the yogurt lime dipping sauce. Combine greek yogurt, lime juice and pepper small bowl. Mix well and set in the fridge.
2. Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Add flour, cajun spice and sea salt into another small bowl, mix and set aside.
4. Pulse RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers in a food processor until it forms a grainy like consistency. Place in another bowl and set aside.
5. Heat up avocado oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high.
6. Line up bowls in the following order: Eggs, Flour / Cayenne and Sweet Potato Cracker grains. One by one, dip each individual shrimp in egg, followed by the flour/ cayenne mixture and then the sweet potato crackers. Press down with your hands to get it fully coated. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty!
7. When each shrimp is fulled coated, place in the pan with hot oil. Cook each for 3 – 5 minutes on each side. When each is done, place on a paper towel lined cookie rack to help drain and cool.
8. When finished, squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and serve with lime greek yogurt dip.