Southwest Black Bean Burgers (ft. Sweet Potato Crackers)
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, diced small
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup ground RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers (see note)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion and bell pepper and saute, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and cayenne and saute for 1 minute.
- Add orange juice, saute 1 minute, then turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, add ground RW Garcia crackers, black beans, and egg.
- Using a potato masher, mash all ingredients together and mix well.
- Place sautéed vegetable mixture in the bowl and mix together well.
- Split mixture into 6 patties (heaping ½ cup per burger) and place on lined baking sheet.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until firm and lightly crusted.
- Optional: Serve with sour cream or yogurt. For a lemon crema, add juice from ½ a lemon and mix thoroughly with the sour cream or yogurt. Note: whirl RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers in a food processor until they reach consistency of chunky corn meal or breadcrumbs. It will take ~1/2 to 2/3 box of crackers to make 1 cup. Mix and match whatever flavors you like!
Learn about the story behind the recipe
FROM CHEF ABBIE GELLMAN
Thursday, July 16th, 2020
I ❤️ RW Garcia 3-seed crackers and hope you do too!
Did you know that in addition to eating them as snacks and as straight up crackers, they’re great in recipes? 🤯Amazing, right?
Check out my IGTV video and learn more about incorporating crackers into your everyday meals! 🍠
Check out my recipe below for a simple, delicious Black Bean Burger with RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers and cook along as you watch her making it. Don’t forget to post your photo’s and tag us when you make these fantastic veggie burgers! 🥬
What are some ways you like to use our different 3-seed crackers?
We want to know! ❤️